Cooking in Croatan
Banging Brussels Sprouts | INSTRUCTIONS
- Place a rack in lower third of oven; preheat to 450°. Toss brussels sprouts and oil in a large bowl to coat; season with salt and pepper. Roast brussels sprouts and fresh diced raw Bacon Bits on a rimmed baking sheet 15 minutes, then shake baking sheet to loosen them. Continue to roast until deeply browned all over, 5–10 minutes longer. Reduce oven temperature to 350° and roast another 10 minutes. Shake baking sheet again, then roast brussels sprouts until the tip of a small knife easily slides through, 5–10 minutes longer (total cook time will be 35–45 minutes).
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Once butter starts to foam, add pistachios and a pinch of salt and cook, stirring often, until nuts are golden brown and butter solids are browned, about 4 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer nuts to paper towels; let cool. Coarsely chop.
- Meanwhile, bring date molasses, honey, and lime juice to a simmer in same skillet over medium heat (this will happen quickly), swirling pan to emulsify. Add 1 Tbsp. water and swirl to emulsify, scraping up browned bits with a wooden spoon. Add brussels sprouts; toss to coat.
- Transfer brussels sprouts to a platter. Toss nuts, lime zest, red pepper flakes, and a pinch of salt in a small bowl to combine; scatter over brussels sprouts. Serve with lime wedges if desired.
Game Day GreenBean Casserole| INSTRUCTIONS
- Preheat oven to 375°. Working in batches, cook green beans in a large pot of boiling salted water until bright green and halfway to tenderness, about 3 minutes per batch. Drain and let cool; trim stem ends.
- Heat 1 Tbsp. oil in a large skillet over medium-high. Cook half of mushrooms, without stirring, until golden brown underneath, about 2 minutes. Toss and continue to cook, tossing occasionally, until browned on both sides, about 3 minutes more. Add 2 Tbsp. butter and 2 thyme sprigs to pan. Cook, tossing occasionally, until butter browns and mushrooms are dark brown and very tender, about 4 minutes longer. Season with salt and transfer to a plate. Repeat with 2 Tbsp. butter, salt, and remaining oil, mushrooms, and thyme.
- Melt remaining 2 Tbsp. butter in a large saucepan over medium-low. Whisk in flour and cook, whisking occasionally, until roux is golden brown and smells mildly nutty, about 4 minutes. Whisk in milk and cream. Increase heat and bring to a simmer, whisking often, and cook until béchamel sauce is thick and bubbling, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and whisk in garlic and Parmesan; season with salt and pepper.
- Arrange green beans and mushrooms in a 2-qt. baking dish. Pour sauce over (it may not look like enough, but it will get saucier as it bakes). Cover tightly with foil and bake until sauce is bubbling, 25–30 minutes. Uncover and continue to bake until casserole is lightly browned on top and around the edges, 15–20 minutes longer. Top with fried onions and continue to bake just until onions are slightly darker and fragrant, about 3 minutes. Let sit 10 minutes to set before serving.
Designated Driver Turkey | INSTRUCTIONS
- Preheat Oven to 325
- Pour Beer in and around turkey
- Cut whole onion: 1/2 Onion in 5 large wedges and 1/2 in smaller wedges, Place 3 larger wedges inside of turkey. All other Onion around outside in pan
- Place handful of rinsed baby carrots inside turkey, place remainder outside in pan
Use all parts of celery: including leaves, stalks. Chop leaves and inside stalks and place in turkey, place chopped celery(main) in pan
- Rub 2tbs of butter under and over skin of turkey
- Rub Olive oil over entire turkey
- Season Turkey, vegetables and beer broth with onion powder garlic powder, salt and pepper, rosemary and thyme.
- Place whole rosemary in pan around turkey. Place 5 whole garlic cloves inside turkey
- Cover turkey with foil and bake for 3 Hours.
- Uncover and Roast for time necessary to complete cooking.
- Baste every 45 minutes
Ingredients are for a 12lb Turkey, adjust quantities up for larger Turkeys.
Cooking times are approximate but a good guide can be found below:
8 – 12 lb Turkey Cooking Time:
2 hours, 45 minutes to 3 hours (unstuffed)
3 hours to 3 hours, 30 minutes (stuffed)
12 – 14 lb Turkey Cooking Time:
3 hours to 3 hours, 45 minutes (unstuffed)
3 hours, 30 minutes to 4 hours (stuffed)
14 – 18 lb Turkey Cooking Time:
3 hours, 45 minutes to 4 hours, 15 minutes (unstuffed)
4 hours to 4 hours, 15 minutes (stuffed)
18 – 20 lb Turkey Cooking Time:
4 hours, 15 minutes to 4 hours, 30 minutes (unstuffed)
4 hours, 15 minutes to 4 hours, 45 minutes (stuffed)
20 – 24 lb Turkey Cooking Time:
4 hours, 30 minutes to 5 hours (unstuffed)
4 hours, 45 minutes to 5 hours, 15 minutes (stuffed)
Real Deal Gravy | INSTRUCTIONS
- Carefully lift the turkey roasting pan and strain drippings into a small bowl or measuring cup; discard solids. Skim fat from surface, reserving ¼ cup. Add drippings to stock.
- Set roasting pan over 2 burners set to medium-high heat. Add wine and cook, scraping up any brown bits, until almost evaporated, about 2 minutes. Reduce heat to medium and whisk in flour and reserved fat. Cook, whisking, until roux is deep golden brown, about 5 minutes.
- Whisking, gradually ladle stock mixture into roux and simmer (still whisking!) until thickened; add vinegar. Strain into a medium saucepan if you prefer a smooth texture. Stir in Brown Ale(our choice, Porter..) and/or herbs, if using; season with salt and pepper. Keep warm until ready to serve.
Take Two Taters | INSTRUCTIONS
- Place potatoes in a large pot and pour in water to cover by 2″; season with salt. Bring to a boil over medium-high. Reduce heat and simmer until a paring knife very easily slides through potatoes, 25–35 minutes. Drain and let cool slightly.
- Preheat oven to 425°. Whisk egg yolks, garlic, cream, sour cream, butter, and peppercorns in a large bowl; season generously with salt. Peel potatoes and mash or process to preferred consistency, and place directly into bowl with egg mixture. Fold in gently with Cheddar Cheese (be careful not to over-mix). Transfer to a 3-quart baking dish and decoratively shingle or swirl surface. Bake, rotating once, until golden brown and slightly puffed, 30–40 minutes.
- Make it Ahead: Dish can be created 1 day ahead. Cover and chill. Increase bake time by 5–10 minutes.
Click The Button Below To View Our Fine Listings!
Curious how Atlantic Sotheby’s International Realty’s cutting edge real
estate marketing can get your home sold fast and for top dollar?
Call us today for a FREE consultation!
Benjamin and Jennifer have come together in life and business
to create a life long partnership. Combining their Strength and
industry knowledge has helped them create The Ben and Jen Team.